You Can't Always Get What You Want


            I have hardly written anything this week, not even Morning Pages. I was meant to type up my short story, but one thing or another got in the way, or I allowed things to get in the way. I have been getting up too late in the mornings, except for Sunday, when I rose at six, got my pen and notebook out, then promptly fell asleep with them on my lap.
            Things have felt off, tense. At work, my colleagues have been snapping and arguing with each other. At home, we lost, first our broadband connection and then our tv signal. As we were sorting those out, a fuse blew with the result that we no longer have a light over our kitchen area.
            My elderly relative has been getting better. He will be out of hospital soon, but remains grumbling. Still pessimistic, still scared. Nothing we say or do seems to cheer him up.
            My wife has had an argument with one of her own relatives, and feels angry and hurt. I’m trying my damnedest to cheer her up and make her feel better.
            I’ve been desperate for some, any time to myself, desperate for fun.
            Well the man came today to fix our tv aerial, and whilst he was there, my wife went out for some fresh air. So I got time to myself, the thing I’d prayed to God for, although not in the way I’d imagined getting it. I guess, to paraphrase the Rolling Stones, God sends you what you need rather than what you want.

Comments

Popular Posts